Frequently Asked Questions

Visiting from outside Canada (U.S.)

The 10 most frequently asked questions

Q. Flying to Brockville from the United States: As a U.S. citizen, must I bring a passport?
A. A passport is the best identification to present at Canada Customs but it's not a requirement to visit Canada. Proof of citizenship through a birth certificate is adequate.
Q. I'd like to bring a few gifts in when I come. Is there a limit on their value?
A. Gifts are restricted to a value of $60.00 Canadian per recipient. They cannot include alcohol or tobacco products. Should the value be in excess of $60.00 you can expect to pay the regular duties on the excess amount.
Q. May I bring along my favourite alcohol or tobacco products?
A. The minimum drinking age in Ontario is 19 years. Visitors who are 19 or older may carry up to 40 oz. of wine or liquor or 24 (12 oz) cans or bottles of beer or ale. They may also bring up to 50 cigars or 200 cigarettes. This is what Canadian Customs considers to be a reasonable amount for one's personal use.
Q. Wherever we go, we take our family pet, even in the aircraft. Is this a problem?
A. Not as long as Spot doesn't bite the officer! One or two domesticated cats or dogs travelling with the owner can be brought into Canada without a permit, provided they are accompanied by a rabies vaccination certificate. Pet food is also permitted.
Q. Our daughter wants her best friend to come along. Will Canada Customs object?
A. Do not be surprised if Canadian Customs officials talk to the children or ask you questions about them. Keep in mind that they are looking for missing children. Children should have proof of nationality and a letter from their parents that can verify their reason for travelling. Visiting Canada can be a rewarding and enjoyable learning experience for children. Include them in your family holiday to Brockville this summer.
Q. Will I be able to bring fire-arms into Canada?
A. Every year thousands of American sportsmen travel North to hunt in Canada. They should know in advance that handguns and automatic firearms are restricted weapons in Canada and should be left at home. Canadians are required to carry a Firearms Acquisition Certificate. U.S. visitors should bring along their local equivalent indicating that they are authorized to own a firearm.
Q. Every 4th of July we set off fireworks. Can I bring some with me to Canada?
A. You must have authorization to bring fireworks into Canada. Here's a contact number at Natural Resources Canada if you'd like to learn more:
(613)995-2388 for the “begin_of_the_skype_highlighting” and “end_of_the_skype_highlighting”. We would also suggest that you buy your fireworks locally from a Canadian retailer. Canadians also enjoy fireworks. In fact, we have a wonderful display during Brockville's annual Riverfest celebration, usually on July 1.
Q. Would I have to pay duties? Is it difficult?
A. Yes, you would have to pay duties on…? It is simple and straightforward. You can use cash, traveller's cheques or, if you have the proper identification, you can write personal cheques for amounts of $500 or less. VISA and Mastercard are also accepted.
Q. How do I arrange for a Canada Customs clearance at the Brockville - 1000 Islands Regional Tackaberry Airport and later re-enter the United States?

Travellers on a Canadian or U.S. registered private, company-owned, or small charter aircraft carrying no more than 15 passengers may clear Canadian Customs at Brockville.

Arranging a clearance is simple:

  • Tel: 1-888-CANPASS (226-7277) for “begin_of_the_skype_highlighting” and “end_of_the_skype_highlighting” (a toll free number valid in the US.)
  • This notification must be at least one hour prior to, but no more than 72 hours prior to landing in Brockville.
  • The pilot will be asked the names, birthdates, and citizenship of his passengers.
  • After landing at Brockville, the pilot shall make his way to the terminal, a single story, circular building and telephone the same 1-888-CANPASS (226-7277) for “begin_of_the_skype_highlighting” and “end_of_the_skype_highlighting” number.
  • The pilot will either be given a telephone clearance into Canada or told to await the arrival of a Customs officer. 

Please contact Canada Customs at 1-888-CANPASS begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-888-CANPASS end_of_the_skype_highlighting 2 hours in advance of your arrival to determine if an Officer can meet you at the Airport and what the call out fee will be.